Monday, April 23, 2012

Radiate ~ Marley Gibson

Hayley Matthews has one big dream for her senior year: CHEERLEADING. She gives up marching band in order to be a cheerleader. But before her debut is official, she finds a lump on her leg. Her senior year dream did not involve cancer, but nonetheless she got it.

Throughout the fight Hayley never loses her spirit. She keeps upbeat and decides that cancer is not going to win; instead, Hayley is going to win. But that doesn't mean there won't be challenges for Hayley-evil cheer captains, walking, boys, etc.

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. At times her positivity irritated me. I know that sounds horrible, and that there really are people who just that positive, but it was tiresome for me. At the beginning of each chapter, there are quotes from various people. I enjoyed these quotes-they were quite uplifting, and at times matched the chapter's content.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

Cancer sucks. There is just not way around it. I am so thrilled that there are positive books regarding cancer. Sitting here, I can think of at least 3 titles (excluding Lurlene McDaniels) where the books have a not so happy ending. And there are more, I know that. So it is good that people can read about the positive changes cancer can cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment