Friday, May 18, 2012

Code Name Verity ~ Elizabeth Wein

UK cover, but to me this is a more
dynamic and appropriate cover,
and I just love it!
Title: Code Name Verity
Author: Elizabeth Wein
Publisher: US edition Hyperion Books for Children
Pub Date: May 2012
Pages 327

Author website: http://www.elizabethwein.com

Where to start...Initially this was not a book that appealed to me. But I decided to go for it anyway! At the beginning, this book put me in mind of Liar by Justine Larbalestier. What is the truth? Wait, what? Are you confused? Okay, let me backtrack....

World War 2, occupied France. A girl is being tortured and told to write down EVERYTHING she knows about wireless operators and operating, including codes. So what, is she is a traitor? A spy? What is going on? As the narrator writes her story for the Nazi's, we understand what is going on as well. We learn about a female pilot, and if you can get through the background on the pilot up to the point she enters the war effort, you are golden and will enjoy the book SO MUCH MORE!

 

Unfortunately, that is about all I can tell you about the book without spoiling or giving away information.

The narrator suffers horrific torture. At times it is difficult to read, knowing that that treatment was actually inflicted upon people by the Nazi's. Sitting here thinking about makes me hurt and angry. Elizabeth Wein captures emotion beautifully in her novel. I cannot think of enough good things to say about this book. The longer it has been since I finished it, the more I appreciate the book.

You might also like Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal


And the US cover

No comments:

Post a Comment