Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fever ~ Lauren DeStephano

Title: Fever
Series: The Chemical Garden Trilogy
Author: Lauren DeStephano
Pub Date: February 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Author Website:

Fever starts right where Wither leaves off. Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion and are on the run. Rhine has one goal: to get to Manhattan and her brother, Rowan.

But, before they get to Manhattan, danger looms. This time, in the form of Madame, and her carnival of whores and danger. Madame decides to keep Rhine as her special pet. Things take a turn for the worse when Housemaster Vaughn appears!

With the help of a fellow trapped carnival girl, they finally escape Madame and her sick, twisted carnival, R & G are heading out again. The path to Manhattan gets more interesting as they seek refuge from unlikely sources. 

When safety appears, Rhine becomes increasingly sick. Is it the killing virus or something else? The only person who can help her is the one person she wants to never see again...


Fever was an enjoyable book. I didn't really have any big complaints at all. I enjoyed the tense and uneasy dynamic between Rhine and Gabriel. I still don't like him, but meh-he has a purpose in the story. The last few chapters flew by for me and I could not stop reading at that point. As Rhine's life slowly is taken away from her, she is faced with one heck of a dilemma-live, die, freedom, what?

Now-onto cover talk. Love the cover. At first I thought it was odd. But after having read the book, I understand it. It is one of the most accurate covers I've ever seen. From the dress, to the tarot card, to the pony, to everything else. It all fits.

Formatting of the book. I fell in love. I love the lines, the circles, and squares. I love how the CIP page was even formatted fitting the design. Truly exceptional detail work.

No comments:

Post a Comment