Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Beautiful Lies ~ Jessica Warman

Title: Beautiful Lies
Author: Jessica Warman
Pub Date: August 21, 2012
Publisher: Walker Books for Children / Bloomsbury
Author Website: www.jessicawarman.com
ARC Provided by: Publisher via NetGalley

From GoodReads: Rachel and Alice are an extremely rare kind of identical twins—so identical that even their aunt and uncle, whom they’ve lived with since their parents passed away, can’t tell them apart. But the sisters are connected in a way that goes well beyond their surfaces: when one experiences pain, the other exhibits the exact same signs of distress. So when one twin mysteriously disappears, the other immediately knows something is wrong—especially when she starts experiencing serious physical traumas, despite the fact that nobody has touched her. As the search commences to find her sister, the twin left behind must rely on their intense bond to uncover the truth. But is there anyone around her she can trust, when everyone could be a suspect? And ultimately, can she even trust herself? Master storyteller Jessica Warman will keep readers guessing when everything they see—and everything they are told—suddenly becomes unreliable in this page-turning literary thriller.


Everytime I start a book by Jessica Warman I feel like I am coming home. I absolutely love her writing and her stories. Prior to reading Beautiful Lies, I didn't really know what to expect. Yes I knew what it was about, but it wasn't one of her typical contemps. And that's okay because Beautiful Lies was still exceptional!

For the first bit I was completely lost! From reading other reviews and Twitter buzz, this is common. But for each reader the 'lost-ness' is a little different. I really hope this does not hurt the book in the end because it was fabulous!

There was a set of identical twins. Essentially one 'good' and one 'bad.' But not good and bad in a paranormal way, instead it was a typical sibling way. So, on the night of a fair, the twins go with their friends. Suddenly Alice disappears and Rachel freaks out but no one else is concerned because "that is what she does." If that's true, then why is Rachel determined that something is wrong this time? Well, because something IS wrong! See, the twins have a connection. They can feel each other's pain, distress, etc. Can this connection be used in a way to find the missing twin, or is she gone for good?

I enjoyed the twins as a whole. They felt believable enough to me. Towards the end though, I was becoming exasperated with the non-missing twin. She kept secrets that could have made a world of difference. The aunt and uncle were a little clueless. But I guess when they've put up with the missing Alice for as long as they have, maybe it is understandable. I was a bit perplexed by Officer Martin. Here we have a strong character that is a cop and can play a vital role-but he doesn't. He connects with the twins because of something special, but that's about it. I was a little let down by the down-playing of his character and role. The most likable character for me was the friend, Kimber. She has been through some serious crap in her life and is still likable. She is a rock!

There is one that that Beautiful Lies did that very few books have ever done to me. I got the chills. Yes, the chills. Full blown goosebumps erupted at the end of the book and I was blown away! By far, this is one of the most mind-blowing books I've ever read!

 "Death is a funny thing. It comes for every last one of us eventually, no matter how we might try to avoid it. Despite its inevitability, we are all so afraid of what might happen to us once we've passed away. Why?"

 (and just an aside: I guessed it! /happy dance!) 


What are your thoughts on Beautiful Lies? Is it one that you're going to read? Have you read it?  What book is on your 'It Completely Blew My Mind' List? The quote I posted, what do you think?




And lastly, while you're here, if you've been enjoying the blog, please follow!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment