Monday, August 6, 2012

Everneath ~ Brodi Ashton


 Title: Everneath
Author: Brodi Ashton
Pub Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray
370 pages
Author Website:

From GoodReads: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...


First off, I have to say that I adore Persephone myths. I'm not sure what it is that draws me in, but it never fails. To my delight, that is what Everneath was: a Persephone story! To my un-delight I did not enjoy the book as much as I hoped I would :(

"Why do we hope when all hope is lost?"


After 100 years, Nikki Beckett returns to life after being in an underworld knows as the Everneath. There, Immortal beings feed on human despair. Connected to Nikki is Cole-the Immortal who wants her to be the Queen to his King. 


Now that Nikki is back on Earth, only six months have passed since she disappeared. And she has six months to correct her mistakes/make peace before the Everneath comes to claim her for good. She can go as either Queen or as food. It's her choice. 


As her time draws to a close, Nikki must decide to accept her fate, or find a way out. Either way there will be consequences and lives broken. 



I enjoyed the mythology the most. There was a little bit of Greek, a little bit of Egyptian. And what I consider new mythology for the book itself. Even descriptions of Everneath confused me somewhat. It was a wonderful storyline, I just feel that some of the execution was not for me and what I was expecting. (I may have put it on too high a pedestal.)
I did not feel connected to any of the characters. At all.I found Nikki to be stupid. And in the end, that stupidity didn't hurt just her. She had so many opportunities to explain and get help, but she chose not to. I did not feel she was a 'wounded' character, but just a stupid one. Her friends? Yeah, didn't like them either. As it is, I'm writing this less than a month after finishing and I cannot remember her best friend's name O.o

Okay, on to the part I just love...The Dreaded Love Triangle. This one was majorly annoying. Jack and Cole. Mortal and Immortal. Yes, Jack = very doting and was crushed when Nikki disappeared, and doesn't really know how to handle her being back. I felt that at first Jack wanted nothing to do with her, then all of a sudden bam! he has to! Then there is Cole, who in his own special Immortal way does care about her. He is trying to save her from the Everneath. But in the end, neither guy is worth it. (Although, to be honest, if I had to choose: Cole all the way.)

I do want to read the sequel, and even the novella to see how the story continues because seriously? Even though I knew how the book was going to end, Brodi Ashton wins an award for Cliffhanger of EVILNESS! Ugh so not cool to leave us like that!

And now, time to look at the beautiful cover of Everbound!  Sooo pretty. I hope book 3 follows in the same vein. I would show you the cover to Neverfall, which takes place between book 1 and 2. And from Cole's point of view.

"Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with."

In keeping with the mythology, I am curious, what is your favorite myth? Your favorite hero? 

No comments:

Post a Comment