Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stolen Nights ~ Rebecca Maizel

Title: Stolen Nights
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Series: Vampire Queen
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pub Date: January 2013
Page count: 320
Author Website: http://rebeccamaizel.com/
Source: ARC provided by the publisher, via NetGalley
From GoodReads:
Lenah Beaudonte should be dead. But having sacrificed herself to save another, she finds herself awakening with strange powers that are neither vampire nor human—and a new enemy on her trail. In her vampire life, Lenah had thought that being human was all she ever wanted; but the human heart suffers pain, heartbreak and loss.

With her new powers growing and the dark force of the Nex after her soul, Lenah faces a choice: between the mortal love of gorgeous Justin, whose passion fed her human soul, and taking a different path to become the mistress of her own destiny, wherever that may lead..


Now, before I get into my review for Stolen Nights, I'd like to share my GoodReads review for Infinite Days way back in  2010:

One of my fave vamp books ever! The story was catchy, the vamps were so intriguing. I love the way they were done. I am so ready for Stolen Nights! And the typical love triangle was not annoying, which was fantastic. That whole angle is getting old imo.

Okay, so two things to note. First, I was completely enthralled by the story. I thought it was an original vampire story. Second, I was sick and damn tired of love triangles. Especially the annoying ones. One thing that cannot be seen by the review, two years was sooooooooooooo long to wait for book 2! UGH! I was dying waiting to see what would happen!

But I finally was able to get my hands on an ARC from NetGalley...even though I just read it. Oops. So without further ado, the review!

 Even though two years had passed since the initial reading of Infinite Days, I was able to fall right back into the story and not lose too much of the story. Lenah, newly human is still adjusting to her life as a human when she is summoned by a group (gonna leave out the spoiler name) who gives her a choice-either remain human or go back to the 15th century and never become a vampire. If Lenah goes back, she will never again be able to see her lover Rhode. Is this a choice she is able to make?

Well, needless to say, she chooses present day life and all hell breaks loose. She has a vicious vampire after her. One who is hell bent on destroying Lenah's life and acquiring all of Lenah's power and thus becoming the new Vampire Queen. But is she strong enough to defeat Lenah who still has a few tricks up her sleeve? Through it all, twists and turns abound. But the end will leave you breathless and wanting more. 

--
Okay. So while not quite as good as the first, I was still hooked. I actually forgot to eat lunch today because I just had to finish the book! And wow. Let's just say this was one of those rare times where the ending blew me away. I did not see it coming. And I was so happy and relieved because of it! I like surprises :)
And to see that the strange pieces in the novel all matched up in the end was even better. Everything was connected and nothing was left hanging. Which okay, maybe not always good...it does not appear that there will be a follow up. Unless....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx That is totally a spoiler :P Just didn't want to give anything away, but I want to sooooo bad. 

Okay, other than squeeing more over my love of this book, I think I will end this for now. But I do want to add that Stolen Nights is still up there in my favorite vamp series ever!

What's your favorite vampire series?  And if you've read this book, Vicken? Rhode? Justin?

No comments:

Post a Comment