Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Shimmer of Angels ~ Lisa M. Basso

Title: A Shimmer of Angels
Series: Angel Sight
Author: Lisa M. Basso
Pub Date: Jan 29, 2013
Publisher: Month9Books
Page Count: 321
Author Website: http://lisa-basso.blogspot.com/
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
From GoodReads: Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy. She ignores signs that she may be slipping into the world she has tried so hard to climb out of. But these days, it’s more than just hallucinations that keep Rayna up at night. Students are dying, and she may be the only one who can stop it. Can she keep her job, her sanity, and her friends from dying at the hands of angels she can't admit to seeing?



When I first started reading A Shimmer of Angels, I was having a slightly difficult time getting hooked into the book. But I thought the premise was interesting. A sixteen year old girl who keeps getting thrown into mental hospitals because she sees people with wings? Hallucinations at that. So her family is trying to get her better. 

Meanwhile, she gets out, things are going good, then it starts happening again. Coincidentally the same time students start killing themselves. Can it be related? And what about new boy Cam who shows up at the same time. No...no, it can't be related can it?

Well. Yesterday happened. And it happened that I was up until 2 am finishing this book! Wow. The story and world of Rayna just exploded and suddenly it was all I could do to stop reading and get on with housework, schoolwork, dinner, husband time, etc. Good lord, it has been a while since a book did this to me. 

And as faithful readers will remember, I hate love triangles. Hate with a fiery passion. Did A Shimmer of Angels have a love triangle? You betcha. Did I hate it? Um...no >.> Yes, you read that correctly. Rayna is drawn to good boy Cam and bad boy Kade. And both are drawn to her. With one things could happen, with the other, it's off limits. So what to do? What to do? (Take the one things can happen with. He is sooo much more tasty imo!) Vague? Why yes it is, but I really don't want to spoil anything. But seriously, the love triangle was not annoying, it made sense even.

I'm looking forward to the next installment to see if any other characters make a re-appearance and possibly even will become more fleshed out. That's the only real complaint I had. We couldn't really connect with any of the background characters, so when they turned up dead, I wasn't that sad. Shocked yes; sad no. Plus, I just want more of the dark winged angel :D

Get yourself past the first three or four chapters and you are golden. Read it, devour it, enjoy it! Then come back and tell me what you think. After that you can join the 'dang it I have to wait till next year' club!

No comments:

Post a Comment