Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blackout ~ Mira Grant

Every now and again there comes along a book that leaves a huge imprint on you. It may appear subtle, or it may punch you in the gut and take away all of your air. Either way, you are going to remember it, and you will remember it well!

For me, there have been two books that fit this bill. They are of a similar nature, but so so different in every single aspect except one. They are zombie books. The first is World War Z. The second is actually a series: The Newsflesh Series by Mira Grant. (I will save my World War Z thoughts for another post since I am planning to re-read it this week.)

Newsflesh begins with Feed, then Deadline, and finishes with Blackout. Never before has a zombie book/series taken me through a wide gamut of emotions. I've laughed, I've cried, I've raged, I've cringed, I've been scared shitless, I've been so frustrated I had to either skim the next few chapters or step away. I've also become cautious.  All from a zombie book? Yes.

To set the story, Feed's premise, from GoodReads:

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will get out, even if it kills them.


Thus begins the emotional roller coaster for me.

One thing that I should point out to you is that while this is technically a zombie book...it's not. Yes, it is about the fallout from a zombie outbreak that destroyed most of the world. But Feed, and the subsequent books are just so much more than that. Ultimately, what you have is a good ole government conspiracy/coverup, psychological thriller, and scare-the-shit-outta-you-medical horror story. The actual amount of zombie in this series declines as the series goes on.

Why?

My thoughts is because, at its core, that is not what the series is about. It is about the truth. Uncovering the truth and not dying because of it. The nation has learned to mostly live with zombies. It is fairly easy to avoid if you follow rules and procedures, so why would it be the focus of the series. We are reading about the cause, not the effect. At least in my opinion.


Sadly, I do have to admit, my love for the series was a little let down by the end of Blackout. I do not like the way it ended at all. Not gonna give anything away, but I was a little let down. 

Again, a snippet from GoodReads

With too much left to do and not much time left to do it in, the surviving staff of After the End Times must face mad scientists, zombie bears, rogue government agencies-


Zombie bears?! OH HELL YES!!!! Wait...wait...what? Seriously, an afterthought in an unpublished blog? What? No. No that can't be. Where is the story on this. I WANTED MORE ZOMBIE BEAR! Let.Down. Oh well. I got over it.

Regardless of a few let downs, fabulous book. Fabulous series. I'm kind of bummed it is over. I still devoured this book, and let schoolwork slide this week. OOPS!

But kudos to Mira Grant for not continuing a story and making it thin and ugh by the end. Our adventure with the After the End Times crew has come to an end...for now anyway....who knows what horrors the CDC has in store for the future. We just may be joining our journalists again.

For more Newsflesh fun, check out Mira Grant's website: www.http://miragrant.com And her Newsflesh novellas.








No comments:

Post a Comment