Friday, April 13, 2012

Masque of the Red Death ~ Bethany Griffin

A review copy was provided by the DAC Tours

Araby lives surrounded by death and contagion. To help protect against contagion, masks are worn-but only by those who can afford them. To show that you are not sick, people, but especially women, wear shorter dresses, trying to expose as much skin as possible.

Araby and her friend April are frequent visitors to the Debauchery Club. Yes, it is exactly as it sounds. Anything that is deemed debauchery is available there. Meanwhile, Prince Prospero sits in his castle waiting for his steamship construction to be complete.

Life goes on, even though Araby is depressed. Then April disappears and her brother comes to Araby for help. At this point in the story Araby enters the dreaded love triangle.

Anyway, that's pretty much the book in a nutshell. There is an underground revolution, betrayals, truths, etc. A new illness emerges, and begins its destruction: The Red Death. No one is immune.

So that is what we are left with. An escape and somewhat of a cliffhanger. So obviously there will be a sequel. A sequel that I will skip.

To be honest, I was excited to read this book. I love the cover, and I found the idea fascinating. However, I had trouble keeping my interest in the book. I forced myself to read it, and even skipped over a few pages to help. I also didn't feel it was very steampunk, even though that is one of the genres for it. With the exception of the steam carriages and the airship was there some steampunk I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment