Monday, May 6, 2013

Thorn Abbey ~ Nancy Ohlin

Title: Thorn Abbey
Author: Nancy Ohlin
Pub Date: May 7 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Count: 304
Review Copy courtesy of : Publisher via PulseIt
Author Website:

From GoodReads:
Nothing is as it seems in this darkly romantic tale of infatuation and possession, inspired by Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca.

Becca was the perfect girlfriend: smart, gorgeous, and loved by everyone at New England’s premier boarding school, Thorn Abbey. But Becca’s dead. And her boyfriend, Max, can’t get over his loss.

Then Tess transfers to Thorn Abbey. She’s shy, insecure, and ordinary—everything that Becca wasn’t. And despite her roommate’s warnings, she falls for brooding Max.

Now Max finally has a reason to move on. Except it won’t be easy. Because Becca may be gone, but she’s not quite ready to let him go…


My Review


Having never read Rebecca, I did not know what to really expect with this book. Okay, to be more truthful, I did not even read the story synopsis before reading the book. But I was hooked...what can I say, I like a good boarding school book :)

I enjoyed Thorn Abbey. Was it the greatest book of all time? No, but I still enjoyed it. There were quite a few moments when I just couldn't stop reading because I needed to know what happened next. And the ending? O.O

Some parts of the story irked me though. For starters, Max's hot to cold feelings for Tess (newly enrolled to Thorn Abbey and not an upper-crust student like everyone else), Tess' roommate's personality. In the end, it all makes sense, but at the time it was a little frustrating.

Either way, enjoyable book. While it is modern day and slightly paranormalish, I'd call it a gothic novel. Give it a try if you're looking for a gothic novel or a simple retelling of Rebecca.


Pulse It

Also, if you haven't heard about Simon's Pulse It site, give it a look! www.pulseit.com You can interact with other readers, read book excerpts, read entire books. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment