Monday, August 19, 2013

Dead & the Buried ~ Kim Harrington

Title: The Dead and the Buried
Author: Kim Harrington
Pub Date: January 2013
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Pages: 295

From GoodReads:
A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?


 THE BOOK


While still paranormal-ish, D&B was a little different from the world of Clarity Fern. In this world, Jade is dealing with a ghost that she cannot see. A ghost who is, well, I'll just say it-a bitch. She was the popular girl at school and now she is the popular girl in her death. Jade has to figure out who killed her before Jade's little brother dies as a result. 

MY THOUGHTS


I mentioned in my previous post, but I will say it again: I am addicted to Kim Harrington's writing! Something happens to me when I start reading and I cannot put the book down! So of course The Dead and the Buried was no different. 

I enjoyed the characters in this book, especially Jade. She was just a normal girl trying to fit in. Well as normal as you can be while being the new girl who lives in a haunted house. One of my favorite aspects to Jade was that she was in to stones. Once upon a time I used to know all the special properties of gemstones. Okay I still remember a few, amethyst being my absolute favorite. This was just unique that it helped me connect to Jade on so many more levels.

And what is a teen book without a love interest? Definitely had that in here. And it worked; it wasn't far-fetched or ridiculous or anything.

Kayla. What to say about Kayla? Well, she is dead. We learn and discover Kayla through passages of her diary that are interspersed throughout the book. And from reading the diary passages, it is obvious who the killer is. I was a bit let down of how predictable it was, oh well though I still enjoyed it! And even in death, Kayla was still a bitch! I loved it!

Okay so that is that. Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment